Problem Gambling Vs Responsible gambling
This video takes a look at what problem gambling is, the signs to look out for, the risk factors that contribute to a problem with gambling and the impacts of problem gambling. It then takes a look at responsible gambling, things to keep in mind when gambling such as chance, randomeness and odds and then gives you some strategies to gamble responsibly.
What is Gambling?
Gambling is taking part in a game of uncertainty where you risk losing money or something of value in order to win a prize, usually more money and/or goods.
What is Problem Gambling?
Problem gambling is when gambling isn't fun anymore and you are spending too much time and money at the club or the TAB or online. You worry and feel guilty about your gambling but when you try to stop you feel the urge to go back to the venue and win back what you lost. You want to stop, but you can't.
Signs of a Problem with Gambling?
Gambling addiction can be devastating to the person who gambles and their family. These are some of the signs that you may have a problem with gambling:
- Lying to family and friends about where you went and what you were doing and how much you spent.
- Chasing losses - desperately trying to win back the money you have lost gambling.
- Borrowing money - either to gamble more or to pay the bills because you have lost your own money.
- Always betting more - placing bigger and bigger bets.
- Being obsessed with gambling - you think about it all the time, how you are going to get the money, how you can get to the venue, planning what lies to tell your loved ones, worrying about what you are doing.
- Being unable to stop gambling - you know it is causing harm, you want to stop, but you just keep going back to it.
- Gambling out of need - you need to gamble to feel normal, to get away from stress of life. You cant cope without gambling.
- Gambling to forget - you focus on the pokies or the horses and you forget all the lies and the problems that gambling is causing you.
- Stealing or committing fraud to gamble - your morals and values are undermined as you desperately seek money to keep on gambling.
- Gambling because it is the most important thing in the world - eventually gambling becomes more important than your work, your marriage, your kids, your job.
What is Responsible Gambling
Responsible gambling is when you gamble for pleasure and entertainment but are aware of your likelihood of losing and understand the associated risks.
Responsible gambling is when you exercise control over your gambling
Responsible gambling occurs in balance with other activities in your life and does not cause problems or harm for yourself or others.
How to gamble Responsibly
Limit your time spent gambling
Be aware if you are missing work, study or family obligations to go gambling
Balance gambling with other leisure activities. Gambling shouldn't be the only activity you do in your spare time.
Remember that gambling is a bit of fun and entertainment. It is not a way to make money. It is not a way to solve problems.
Limit your money spent on gambling.
Only bet what you can afford to lose. Gambling with money you're scared to lose is neither enjoyable nor wise.
Set a budget and stick to it. It is important not to change this limit while you play. No matter what, when you hit that number, leave the venue.
Only take the amount of money you are willing to spend. Avoid ATM machines or lines of credit. Using credit is a really easy way to get financially overextended while gambling.